Some would say that photography has taken a serious hit with the invasion of the “Selfie”. The selfie is truly rampant and most would agree, here to stay. When you go to a restaurant look around and you will see diners taking selfies with their dessert or entree. Everyone at a birthday party takes out their phone and wants to take a selfie with the birthday boy or girl. When you go to a concert, everyone is taking multiple selfies and ignoring the band.
Visit a tourist site or famous landmark and there are friends and family groups taking selfies all day and night. Recently I was in Montreal and people were taking selfies some using selfie sticks in front of the Notre Dame Cathedral. I thought if you stood there with a selfie stick and offered it to tourists at $10.00 a selfie, you would make some serious money.
I have two teenage daughters so I am intimately familiar with the selfie. I am also fascinated by the selfie culture and the creative ways that celebrities and others seek fame with an outrageous selfie post. I am particularly amused by pet selfies taken their owners.
Here are some interesting facts about selfies that will give you the whole picture so to speak.
- Just search selfie on Pinterest and you will get thousands of boards about selfies. Here is a selfie board where you can post your selfie. The board reads “Comment to join. Post as many selfies as you want no judgement:)” https://www.pinterest.com/amsweber/selfie-board/
- There are businesses built around selfies where you can go and put on costumes with crazy backdrops. https://www.facebook.com/selfiesca?fref=ts
- The term “selfie” was first coined by photographer, Jim Krauss and Buzz Aldrin took the first selfie in space in 1966 according to Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selfie
- We can’t talk about selfies without including Twitter and #selfiesaturday
- If you search selfie on Instagram there are 299,599,777 posts using #selfie.
- Selfies are not headshots (I had to put that one in there).
So what are selfies good for – fun! Some would say that selfies are an art form and I tend to agree. There are some incredible and creative selfie shots out there. Photography can’t ignore the selfie and the selfie has learned a lot from photography. The best selfies are the ones that use interesting angles, good composition and a good balance of light and shadow – the same is true of the best photographs. I must admit that Buzz Aldrin is a tough selfie act to follow.